Generosity and fundraising training is one of the greatest needs that we in the Global Generosity Network experienced the past few months specifically. Many generosity ministries mentioned in the generosity ministries resource list on Wednesday offer good training programmes. There are however a few training programmes that I want to mention specifically. Barbara Shantz (email@example.com), one of the Global Generosity Network leaders has a very good understanding of training that is available and can provide advice on what training might be best suitable in different contexts and situations. We also have a list of possible generosity trainers in different regions and countries but I thought it would be better not to include that list. Please contact me or Barbara and we will put you in touch with possible trainers.
Here is a list of some of the most important programmes. As I mentioned with the other lists it is not at all completed. Please let me know about generosity and fundraising training initiatives that you know about. We can then add them to the list.
- Rob Martin provides fundraising and management training and coaching through the First Fruit Institute (www.firstfruit.org/institute). As the Lausanne Senior Associate for Resource Mobilization Rob regularly teaches Christian leaders in different aspects of resource mobilization and fundraising.
- TWR Faith Reliance team teaches biblical stewardship, biblical generosity, biblical fund development and biblical business principles. This training is mainly focussed on the TWR staff and international partners but other ministries can also attend the training events. For more information contact Barbara Shantz at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Colombo Theological Seminary (www.cts.lk) is running a course on Biblical stewardship focussing on a Biblical understanding of money and possessions and how to give and share resources.
- GenerousLeader (www.generousleader.com/) is a six-week, online learning experience designed to help church staff and lay leaders grow in their knowledge of the biblical message of generosity. Leaders can read from powerful books, watch video teachings and testimonies, journal online to capture what God is doing in their hearts, and take them on a Giving Challenge to put what they are learning into practice.
- Linked to CMS Africa (www.cms-africa.org) the Samaritan Strategy Africa uses training events to facilitate wholistic transformation in communities. The training is followed by simple ministry activities through which local churches use their own resources to demonstrate God’s love to those outside the church.
- Chad E. Cunningham with Howard Dayton, Faith and Money: A Practical Theology (Crown Financial Ministries Inc, 2006) (www.amazon.com/Faith-Money-A-Practical-Theology/dp/1564271781) is course book that explores the theological and practical aspects of faith and money from a Christian perspective and to integrate them into life.
- The ‘Money Course’ (www.themoneycourse.org/) had been jointly developed by Stewardship and Alpha International. Blending biblical principles with practical teaching, the course helps Christians explore their personal relationship with money, and take control of their individual or household finances.
- The ‘Seasons of Giving’ course (www.stewardship.org.uk/money/spotlight/seasons-of-giving) is a 4 week Bible Study resource from Stewardship in the UK. It examines generous giving and biblical teaching about money and possessions.
- Mission Increase Foundation (http://www.mif.org/index.cfm?action=general.trainingResources) has various training resources in stewardship and fundraising available.
- The Christian Institute of Management in India developed a course in indigenous resource mobilisation as part of an MA in Christian Management (http://cimindia.in/mcm_christian_mgt.htm)
- The Asia Theological Seminary Stewardship Center provides courses on various aspects of Biblical stewardship including financial management, economic life and entrepreneurship (http://atscbs.wordpress.com/courses/).
- Development Associates International’s (www.daintl.org/) "Fund-Raising in Ministry" workshop is almost complete and will be available as an online training programme later in 2012.
- Most Christian groups integrate stewardship, generosity and giving in their discipleship training programmes. One such group is the Nigeria Fellowship of Evangelical Students (www.nifes.org/) that developed a generosity training programme called ‘Giving: Biblical perspective’.
Dr. Sas Conradie is the Coordinator of the Global Generosity Network